Monday, July 13, 2009

Rajgurunagar




***BTW, please note that I posted TWO write ups today (this one and another one below). They are both from last week-this is just the first time I have had access to internet.

It is so hard to believe that I haven’t even been here for a full week yet. It honestly seems like I have been here forever and there is so much I want to convey about my experiences and how I am feeling.

Everyday I am stunned by the vibrant colors that bring India to life. I have noticed this especially in the clothing of the woman. The fabrics and textiles of the saris are so beautiful, detailed and bright even in everyday wear and I still stare incessantly at the woman. I love that the woman are not afraid of color here…it makes things so much more interesting! Maybe one day soon I will be brave enough to attempt wrapping and wearing a sari!

As far as the landscape, it is lush and picturesque as it sits on this river/dam which women go to wash their clothes and men to fish. Behind the river are these amazing hillsides that you can hike up and have a view of the whole village and all the crops from the top. I know many of you won’t believe this but I actually got up at 5:30 am this morning to go on a hike with some of my new friends. Since I am still jet lagged I have been waking up at this time every morning anyway but I am sure this trend won’t last for long. The whole village of Rajgurunagar is walkable and monsoon season is actually a wonderfully pleasant time to be here since it is not too hot or too cold (around 75 degrees on average). So the thing about the village and I think India in general that is really hard to reconcile at times is the many paradoxes that exist everywhere.
Everything about this country is so complex and you can see the most beautiful and horrible scene all in the same instance. Although the village is so beautiful and quaint at the same time, on my way to the river I pass five dirty pigs sleeping in a heap of smelly garbage. I read somewhere that India is a land of contradictions and in order to truly enjoy and understand this country, you have to learn to not see things in black and white and be comfortable with the grey. I think this has and will be an extremely valuable lesson for me.

On that note, one thing I have thought about a lot is how interesting perspective is and how adaptable we can be when we give ourselves the chance. Now that I have been here a few days I love the house I am living in and feel that my living conditions are really luxurious and nice and truthfully they are. The house is really beautiful and I just needed some time to adapt to a different way of life.

Another in a sense odd luxury of India is that each house and office has at least one domestic worker that pretty much runs the place and takes care of things. This was a little uncomfortable for me initially, having an elder woman bring me a cup of tea on a tray several times a day while I am at work but now it has become so normal that I don’t even think twice about it-I am still conflicted about whether or not this is a good or bad thing, or both or neither (the grey). Although I am still just taking everything in and my perspective could change, I think the reason why it doesn’t make me as uncomfortable as it usually would is that although these women are domestic workers, they are still respected and seen as part of the staff and team as opposed to being brushed off. I am aware that these are just my initial impressions and what I see on the surface which could most definitely change as I get to see the intricacies of the caste and class system in India, which by the way is still VERY prevalent.

Tomorrow I am off to Pune for the weekend. It is so exiting to think that this is just the beginning and I have still have so many more experiences ahead of me! Thanks for sifting through all of my crazy thoughts and bearing with me through these posts. Your comments, e-mails and feedback are always deeply appreciated. Missing you all!

1 comment:

Flora said...

I agree 100% with Haleh. Can't wait to read more and more and see more pictures. I just love this. I miss you so so much.